Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Double Choc Chip Cookies

I bought a packet of vegan choc chip cookies at the supermarket and ended throwing most of them out. They were horrid. I've never made vegan cookies but I saw this recipe for Dreena's Double Chocolate Almond Explosion Cookies and thought I would have a try.

I adapted it to the ingredients that I had on hand - it's hard to find vegan choc chips, so I cut up some Sweet William dairy free chocolate as well as some sugar fee dark chocolate that had bought ages agoin a health food shop and I used maple flavoured syrup because that is what I had. Pure maple syrup is really expensive but I'm thinking that I might buy some for future recipes.

I think they turned out delicious, DO was impressed and he isn't a fan of chocolate chip cookies, but off course the real test comes, when my non- vegan son tries them.


Double Choc Chip Cookies

1 cup plain flour 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder

1⁄2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
5
tbsp non-dairy chocolate (about 8 squares all up)

1⁄4 cup sugar

1⁄4 tsp salt

1⁄3 cup maple syrup (a little generous measure)

1 tsp vanilla extract

1⁄4 cup canola oil (a little generous measure)


Preheat oven to 180°C. In a bowl, sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda. Add the chocolate chips, sugar, and salt, and stir until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine the maple syrup with the vanilla and then stir in the oil until well combined. Add the wet mixture to the dry, and stir through until just well combined (do not overmix). Using large spoons, scoop some cookie dough and roll into balls about the size of golf balls, and then flatten out to about 3/4 cm thick. Bake for 11 minutes, until just golden (if you bake for much longer, they will dry out). Let cool for no more than 1 minute on the sheet (again, to prevent drying), then remove with a large spatula and transfer to a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment