Friday, June 12, 2009

Veggie Sausage Rolls

I found a recipe hidden away on a forum on Vegsoc. I was by a poster named Dorothy. I modified it a little to taste like real sausage rolls. I added the cocoa powder for colouring. The pastry I used was frozen and the recipe used two sheets, cut in half. The only complaint from DO is that I didn't make enough. I wasn't able to take a photo my veggie sausage rolls, but this one looks quite similar. It is from Where's the beef?





Veggie Sausage Rolls

1 cup cooked lentils mashed
1/2 onion finely diced
1 cup besan (chick pea flour)
1/2 medium carrot grated
1 heaped teaspoon cocoa powder
1 heaped tablespoon dried mixed herbs
1 tablespoon tomato sauce (ketchup)
salt
pepper
a little water
puff pastry
sesame seeds

Preheat the oven to 230C.

Place mashed lentils, onion, carrot, flour, cocoa, herbs, tomato sauce, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix together. Add enough water to make it easier to combine. I used some of the lentil water. Spoon the mixture in the bottom third of each pastry rectangle. Roll up and seal the edges with a little water. Repeat with the remaining mixture and pastry. Slice each roll into four and place on a slightly greased baking tray. Cut two or three slits on the top of each roll, spray with cooking oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Bake for 20 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. Serve with tomato sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment