Saturday, July 4, 2009

Sesame Noodles

I was looking around at food blogs and I saw Vegan Dad's Udon Noodles with Sesame Crusted Tofu and decided it looked yummy. This isn't his recipe. However, I did take bits of his recipe, looked in my fridge and cupboard and came up with Sesame Noodles. I used Golden Hokiien noodles as I had them in the cupboard. I suppose you could use any noodle that you desire. DO loved this dish and will take the leftovers to work to reheat in the microwave for his lunch.



Sesame Noodles

440 gram pkt Golden Hokiien noodles
1 tab vegetable oil
3 med carrots cut into matchsticks
1 med onion sliced finely
1/2 red capsicum (bell pepper) sliced finely
1/2 green capsicum (bell pepper) sliced finely
1 heaped tsp minced garlic (I used the jar stuff as it is easiest)
1 heaped tsp minced ginger (again I used the jar stuff)
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tabs soy sauce
2 tabs hoisin sauce
1 tab sesame oil

Prepare noodles according to packet directions. For my noodles, it was to place them in a bowl and cover with boiling water for a few minutes and then drain and set aside.

Place rice vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and sesame oil in a bowl, stir to combine and set aside.
Sprinkle the seeds into a large hot dry frypan. Toss the pan until the seeds toast and are fragrant. Be careful because the seeds can go from just right to burnt quickly. Remove toasted seeds and set aside.

Place the vegetable oil in the bottom of the frypan you used for the sesame seeds. Add the garlic and ginger and stirfry until fragrant. Next add the onion, carrots, red and green capsicum. Stir quickly. To help the cooking along, add half a cup of hot water and continue to stir until the water is half boiled away. Add the noodles and stir carefully. Add the vinegar mix and stir again. Keep stirring until the sauce is thickened. Now sprinkle the sesame seeds over, stir to make sure the seeds are evenly distributed and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment