Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Curry in a Hurry

Hubby and I came home with our new baby today. She is a pretty red Kia Rio and is parked in our driveway. I'll have a photo in the next day or so, when I remember to grab my camera. (ETA: Photo at the end of this post)

Talking about grabbing a camera...I didn't take a photograph of tonight's meal as we were too hungry and gobbled it all down quickly.

Tonight I made a curry in a hurry and it took about the same time to cook as did the rice in the rice cooker. It was easy to cook and easier to eat and totally delish. It was a big meal for two people and I felt uncomfortable at the end because I ate so much.

Tomato Curry in a Hurry

3 heaped tabs red curry paste. I had an open jar of tomato and coriander in the fridge but you can use any red curry paste you like, I suppose.
1 tab vegetable oil.
1 can tomatoes. I had Indian style tomatoes that had curry spices in the sauce. But any tomatoes would do. If using ordinary tinned tomatoes you can add a teaspoon of curry powder to the curry paste to give it a little extra flavour.
1 cup water.
1 heaped tablespoon vegetable stock powder.
500 grams frozen vegetables. My local supermarket has frozen asian style vegetables and they are quite inexpensive and are a good mix.
Fried Shallots if desired. I bought a pack of these at my local supermarket and stored them in a glass jar in the fridge. You only sprinkle them on the top of a finished asian style dish and they add a little something that, in my opinion, makes it a bit more special.

In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil. When the oil is hot add the curry paste and fry,stirring constantly to release the aromas. After a few minutes, open the tomatoes and dump the contents onto the curry paste. Stir to combine. Half fill the empty tomato can with water and add the vegetable stock powder and whisk briefly to mix. Pour the stock and water over the tomatoes and stir again. Open the packet of frozen vegetables and add them to the tomato sauce mixture. Stir again, until all the vegetables are covered. Simmer and as soon as the vegetables are hot, it is ready to serve....less than ten minutes...

Half fill a noodle bowl with the rice and top with a generous serving of vegetables and sauce. Sprinkle the fried shallots over the top and enjoy.

Edited to add a couple of pictures of my new baby...isn't she beautiful?






No comments:

Post a Comment