GENERAL BRAMWELL BOOTH OF THE SALVATION ARMY ON VEGETARIAN DIET:
(General Booth is the son of the founder William Booth)
(General Booth used vegetarian diet in his London alcohol cure clinics because he believed that meat and alcohol crave each other. His successin this regard was one factor in the Salvation Army's rapid growth. He believed that meat is highly concentrated and alcohol highly expansive.)These passages are taken from a pamphlet written by General Bramwell Booth, former director General of the Salvation Army, and a son of founder General William Booth.
"Here are some of my reasons for doing so (becoming vegetarian):
1. Because I have myself tried a vegetarian diet with the greatest benefit having been for more than 10 years at l time a strict vegetarian.
2. Because according to the Bible God originally intended the food forhumans to be vegetarian. (here he quotes Genesis 1:29)
3. Because a vegetarian diet is favourable to purity, to chastity,and to perfect control of the appetites and passions which are often a source of great temptation, especially to the young.
4. Because a vegetarian diet is favourable to robust health and strength.With very few exceptions, and these only confirmed invalids, I believe the people would be stronger....
5. Because tens of thousands of our poor people (could save money)...
6. Because a vegetarian diet of wheat, oatmeal and other grains, lentils, peas, beans, nuts and similr food is more than ten times as economical as a flesh diet. Meat contains half its weight in water which has to be paid for as though it were meat. A vegetarian diet, even if we allow cheese, butter and milk will only cost about a quarter as much as a mixed diet of flesh and vegetables.
7. Because a vegetarian diet would stop the enormous waste of all kinds of animal food.
8. Because a vegetarian diet is a great protection against our drinking (this belief of General Booth has been upheld by modern biochemistry research about the relationship of meat and alcohol)....
9. Because a vegetarian diet is favorable to industry and hard work...
10. Because it is proved that life, health, and happiness are all favoured by a vegetarian diet.
11. I favour a vegetarian diet because the digestive organs of humans are not well adapted to the use of flesh....
12. Because it is very difficult.. especially in hot weather and warm climates to keep flesh food sweet long enough to cool and eat it and a great deal of meat is eaten after it has begun to decay...(We have temporarily mislaid the sheet which lists reasons
13, 14,and 15.. http://groups.msn.com/christianveg has a link to the complete text)
16. Because of the awful cruelty and terror to which tens of thousands(now billions) of animals killed for human food are subjected in traveling long distance by ship and rail and road to the slaughterhouses of the world. God disapproves of all cruelty.. whether to man or beast.
17. Because of the terrible cruelties practised for killing animals in many slaughter houses. The whole business of killing is cruel.. even when it is done with care, and we know that in the case of millions of creatures it is done with very little care. Ten thousand pigs are killed for food every hour in Europe alone. (Now Oscar Mayer kills1100 pigs an hour at their Madison Wisconsin plant.)
18. Because the occupation of slaughtering animals is brutalising to those who are required to do the work. "The highest sentiments ofhumanemen" says a certain writer, and I agree with him, "revolt at the cruelty,the degrading sights, the distressing cries, the perpetual blood shed,and all the attendant horrors which must surround the transit and slaughter of suffering creatures."
19. Because a flesh diet is not necessary to hard work. A great part of the work of the world is done by animals which subsist on vegetable food..namely, horses, mules, camels, oxen, etc.I believe this matter is well worthy the serious consideration of Christian leaders. It has an important bearing not only on their own health and happiness but upon their influence among the people, as men and women who are free from the bondage of that selfish gratification which so often afflicts the professed servants of Christ. Let remember the Apostle's direction: 'Whether ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do,do all to the glory of God.' "(published by the LVS 53 Marloes Rd. Kensington London UK W8)
Booth text reprinted from the London Vegetarian Soc.
Spanish Style Tofu and Potatoes - This is a simple and tasty dish that is perfect for the end of summer when all your tomatoes are ripe. INGREDIENTS *Serves 6 to 8* - 2.5 lbs potatoes, c...
3 days ago