Monday, March 2, 2009

Waldorf Salad

Along the Road is a ministry of my church and it provides food for needy families. They also do a fruit and vegie on a fortnightly basis as a service for anyone who would like to take part. Two days before the run, baskets and money is collected, and on the Thursday, the group go into the fruit markets and try to buy the best value, fresh fruit and veg they can with the money alloted. This was my first time ordering a fruit and veg basket but I wanted a challenge of having something different than what I normally buy at the supermarket. I rarely buy celery or so many apples and oranges. It was also super fresh so that was a fantastic bonus.


Some of the items in this weeks basket was a ton of small red apples, half a celery and green grapes. I already had some pears in the fridge and walnuts in the freezer, so I decided to make a Waldorf Salad. I had only had Waldorf Salad once, years ago but I really enjoyed it back then. The dressing is a mixture of a homemade mayonaise and coconut cream.


Waldorf Salad

3 small red apples cored and cubed
1 pear peeled, cored and cubed
2 tabs lemon juice
1 cup green grapes
2 sticks celery sliced into small pieces
generous half cup walnuts pieces
1 cup mayonaise (I used Bryannas recipe... it was quick and less vinegary than bought mayonaise. Scroll down the page to find the recipe.)
1/4 cup coconut cream approx

Place cube apples and pears in a bowl. Our over the lemon juice and stir to make sure each piece of apple and pear is coated. This is to stop the fruit going brown and unappetizing. Add the grapes, celery and walnut pieces.

In another bowl, mix the mayonaise and coconut cream. You might want to add the coconut cream by the tablespoon, stirring and tasting until it gets to a creamy smooth flavour.

Refrigerate before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment