Monday, March 8, 2010

Dairy Free Cheese Spread

Since I've gone vegan, the only two things I miss are a decent tasty vegan cheese and decent chocolate. I found this recipe for Vegan Cheese and adapted it according to the ingredients I had in my pantry and fridge. This is really yummy spread on crackers with tomato or in a sandwich with lettuce. Its may not taste exactly like real dairy cheese but I really like this spread and it fills the spot for me.

Conventional cheese has a fair bit of salt in it so remember to be generous with the salt. It is not as moist as the original recipe states, but spreads beautifully. Use a good sized jar (I used a clean 400grm vegemite jar) and store your cheese spread in the fridge. It should last a week although I've had mine for a little over week and it is still good.

Dairy Free Cheese Spread
1 cup tahini
1/8 cup white vinegar
1/8 cup olive oil
1 heaped tablespoon savoury yeast
1 heaped teaspoon dry mustard
salt and pepper to taste.

In your jar whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper together. Add the tahini and savoury yeast and stir well until combined.




No comments:

Post a Comment