Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Self-saucing Chocolate Pudding

I usually eat fruit for dessert or something relatively healthy but its cold and wintery and I felt like something warm and decadent and full of sugar and best of all...chocolate.

I adapted it from this recipe on taste.com.au however, I used oil, made extra sauce and cut down the sugar a little but it is still very sweet. It contains brown sugar which I didn't pack down at all. I just scooped it out of my brown sugar jar so it was quite loose.

Self-saucing Chocolate Pudding

1 cup self-raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup soy milk
Egg substitute to the value of one egg. I use Orgran No egg

Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease an 8-cup capacity ovenproof baking dish. Sift flour and cocoa into a large bowl. Stir in brown sugar.

Combine oil, soy milk and No egg in a jug. Slowly add to flour mixture, whisking until well combined and smooth. Spoon into baking dish. Smooth top.

To make the sauce, combine 1 cup brown sugar and 4 tablespoons sifted cocoa powder. Sprinkle evenly over the top of pudding.

Slowly pour 2 1/2 cups boiling water over the back of a large metal spoon to cover pudding. Place dish onto a baking tray. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until pudding bounces back when pressed gently in centre.

Serve warm with custard.

1 comment: